Every once in a while I find myself in the middle of something magical. It starts out like any other thing, but somehow all of the pieces click…and it’s a convergence that could never have been expected. I’m in the middle of one of those now.
Hero in the Mirror started as a research and writing project. My 5th graders were going to choose a hero, investigate her/his life and accomplishments and then write an informational piece. Of course that was too stale and inauthentic for me, so I added a twist…and a few hand-springs, and a cart-wheel.
Starting with the premise: Every person has Super Hero Power potential.
- I invite ‘every day heroes’ into our classroom to talk about their work and life.
- Have 5th graders interview, film, organize the visits.
- To end the visit, interviewers ask each guest, “What is your super hero power?”
- Kids reflect on that and connect how the guest uses that power In their work and in their life.
- They put their reflections in writing and post them on their blogs.
The project is still evolving as I follow the kids in their discoveries, but in the end…I will be asking each 5th grader to find their own ‘Hero in the Mirror’ and claim their super hero power.
So what’s so magical you ask?
- Brave souls saying ‘yes’ to 10-11 year olds, despite their own fears.
- Seeing so many busy people choosing to be with us for those 20 minutes.
- Watching the struggle many go through to uncover their super hero power, and then claiming it.
- Knowing that those ‘super heroes’ will forever hold that power differently after their visit.
- Watching my class hold each guest and each super hero power in equal esteem…coming from a college student, a parent, a famous director, a fast food worker…they hold them in equal light.
- The gift I’m receiving to be able to witness humanity is such a beautiful way.
- Knowing that the 5th graders involved will see the world, and themselves…and their place in our world forever differently….just as I will.
Please check out our website. We are still in the middle of things, so check back!