If you haven’t considered blogging with your students, now’s the time!
I’ve taught fifth grade for the past 14 years, I have never found a more powerful approach to teaching writing than blogging. It creates an authentic audience, and kids actually want to write. I have an easy step by step guide to starting off on a good foot.
Click the title below for a more detailed explanation with resources.
1. Make paper blogs to teach blogging. Here’s the lesson plan:
Paper Blogs: McTeach lesson
2. 7 Random Facts About Me To teach what information can be on a public space, and what can not.
3. Establish Blogging Guidelines.
4. Quality Comments
5. Start with small assignments
6. International Dot Day: How will you make a difference in the world?
7. Include parents
8. Connect with a couple of classrooms
9.Let them explore with color and style to personalize their blog site
10.Don’t grade! At least not at first.
11.Blog at least weekly
Here’s a great article about the State of Blogging: